The institution behind the branch had a much longer history. It developed from Campbell's Bank in 1819, the Advances to Settlers scheme of 1899 and the Government Savings Bank incorporated in 1907. The Rural Bank formally commenced as a separate institution on 1 July 1933. It became the State Bank in 1981-82, was sold in 1994, traded as Colonial State Bank from 1996 and was acquired by the Commonwealth Bank in 2000.23
Government banking began in leased Moss Vale premises on 13 July 1914 under manager Mr Berriman. Moss Vale's Rural Bank branch opened on 19 September 1921 as part of the Government Savings Bank and first worked from rooms associated with the School of Arts. Customers could operate current accounts through the new branch. A 1924 advertisement named H. M. Chard as the local manager.5
In January 1923 the commissioners acquired parts of two Throsby-subdivision lots at 396 Argyle Street from Ernest Rhodes for £1,375. A weatherboard cottage, workshop and garages had occupied the land. The combined Government Savings and Rural Bank building opened there in May 1924 at a reported cost of about £1,800. A manager's residence followed in 1926-27 at a reported cost of £3,450, and Harold Markham Chard managed the branch until 1928.5
On 15 December 1931 the Government Savings Bank's savings and deposit business passed to the Commonwealth Savings Bank. The rural-lending operation emerged as the independent Rural Bank of New South Wales in 1932 and continued under the Rural Bank name until 1981, when it became the State Bank. Sir William Vicars resigned as a commissioner in 1933. Surplus 396 Argyle Street frontage was reportedly sold to J. J. and E. F. E. Schaefer for about £400 in 1935.5
A 1937 newspaper notice placed a Rural Bank branch in Argyle Street between H. S. Whitford's premises and the Bank of New South Wales. The notice does not print 374, but it is another strand in the story of the bank moving through several Moss Vale locations before the purpose-built 1960 branch.16
Council reports from 1926 and 1928 also refer to posts obstructing the Rural Bank premises and alterations near the bank. They show that the branch had recognisable premises by then, although the notices do not supply a street number.
Central Motor Garage was also trading in Argyle Street by April 1921, advertising cars for hire at any hour and tours through the district and to the South Coast. Council heritage research places the garage on land at 409-411 Argyle Street developed by brothers James Clifford and Hector George Whatman. Harold Richard Ward was its owner around 1949, and Central Garage was still listed as a Moss Vale BMC dealer in the 1960s. This evidence points away from an old community recollection that placed the garage behind the Rural Bank at 374; no address-specific record found so far connects Central Garage with 374 or its Clarence Street yard.19
The bank also became associated with Tarrangower at 7 Valetta Street. In the 1927 rate book John Tomley still owned the two lots at the corner of Valetta and Elizabeth Streets. By 1930 Margaret Schofield owned the corner lot and Tarrangower stood there with an improved capital value of £3,000. Newspaper reports published after her death in 1943 said she had built the home thirteen years earlier, placing its construction at about 1930.17
A Moss Vale Council minute from 22 May 1928 records Mrs Schofield, through N. M. Anderson and H. F. Winch, applying for approval of building plans. Both men were local builders and contractors, although Margaret owned another parcel at the Argyle and Valetta Street corner and the minute does not identify which property the plans covered. Local accounts have also credited Alf Stephens or a Schofield family builder. Later research found that Margaret's son Robert, rather than Albert as one story had it, was the builder in the family. The person who designed and built Tarrangower remains uncertain.17
The council heritage study describes a dark face-brick Interwar house on a trachyte base, with hipped and gabled terracotta-tile roofs, a return verandah, brick balustrades and a prominent gabled entrance. Its retaining wall, fence and corner steps were made from trachyte quarried at Mount Gibraltar. Long-term owner Jan King said most of the original skirting boards, picture rails, doors and handles survived. Later work added a rear laundry and sunroom, replaced the kitchen ceiling and converted an already enclosed section of verandah into a dressing room and ensuite.17
A Wingecarribee Council heritage planner told Angus that Tarrangower and the brick frontage at 374 were both built with Bowral bricks from the Bowral Brickworks. Bowral Bricks began production locally in the early 1920s and dates its foundation to 1922, so the material was available when Tarrangower was built. The planner's identification is a valuable clue, but no surviving order, specification or stamped-brick record has yet been found for either property.35
After the war Tarrangower became known as “the bank house” and was reportedly used as a country holiday home for senior executives and later by local managers. Recorded occupants include Hugh Malcolm and Geraldine Edith Robertson in 1953-54, Joseph “Jack” de Boos in 1954-56, and Alan Oswald, Joyce Olive and Wendy Joan Howarth from August 1956. Alan Howarth later moved into the residence above the new bank in 1960. Tarrangower is now Lot 1 DP 798790, a 1,312-square-metre locally significant home. It sold through Ray White on 8 May 2025 for $1.35 million.17